Position Summary: The Assistant Coach of Strength and Conditioning assists the Director of Strength and Conditioning with all aspects of the strength and conditioning activities for Tulane Athletics. This position serves as the primary strength and conditioning coach for their assigned sports.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
1. Function: Strength and Conditioning Duties - Creates, implements, and executes a strength and conditioning program for their assigned sport program(s); assists with football and other sports as assigned by the Director of Strength and Conditioning; creates programs that result in improved athletic performance, including but not limited to the areas of strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility, and conditioning; documents and maintains records for measurable improvements and related activities for each student-athlete; prioritizes the health and safety of the student-athletes; works collaboratively with coaches, sport performance and student services units to provide holistic student-athlete care and development; seeks educational opportunities, technology, or opportunities to enhance strength and conditioning services for student-athletes; seeks continuing education opportunities for professional and personal development; maintains professional certification through continuing education and abides by HIPAA regulations in communication of protected student-athlete health information. (40%)
2. Function: Operations and Regulatory Compliance - Assists the Director, Strength and Conditioning, Football and other strength and conditioning staff with all aspects of the Strength and Conditioning department including, but not limited to, determining goals for the department each year; helps develop training schedules in an equitable manner; completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner; monitors all areas and/or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations and seeks interpretations from the compliance staff as necessary and reports potential rules violations immediately. (30%)
3. Function: Facility Maintenance - Assists with the oversight and maintenance of the Slatten Family Strength and Conditioning Center and Hertz weight room; helps monitor both weight rooms, maintaining all equipment in proper working order and always ensuring the cleanliness of both facilities; assists in all daily operations of both weight rooms including set up and take down of equipment, sanitation, and health and safety of student-athletes, among other duties and ensures weight room operations are efficient and organized. (20%)
4. Function: Sport Camp - Assists in directing sport camps as requested or required; reports on time and is prepared for all assigned sports camp activities; ensures camp participants are provided sound guidance and direction in accordance with industry-accepted sports protocols; maintains rosters and related documentation regarding sports activities and provides recommendations to the Camp Director to improve the camp experience. (5%)
5. Function: Other Duties - Performs other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description. (5%)
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science or related field
CardioPulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification
Either the Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) Certification from the NSCA OR the Strength and Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) Certification from the CSCCa
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Competencies:
Ability to create and administer evidence-based strength and conditioning programs to enhance athletic performance for various sport teams
Ability to examine human movement patterns to identify areas for mechanical improvement
Ability to interact effectively with coaches, administrators, student athletes and vendors
Ability to work independently in an organized and motivated manner
Strong organizational, management and leadership skills
Ability to multi-task effectively
Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines
Proficient computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, and other sport performance software
Availability to work flexible work schedule including nights and weekends
Ability to travel with sport teams for away contests
Knowledge of HIPAA guidelines as it relates to communication of student-athlete health status in regard to sport participation
Knowledge of NCAA and American conference rules and regulations
Master’s Degree in Exercise Science or related field
Experience as a collegiate or professional athlete
Ensures that all Department of Athletics and University related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations. Attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all the Athletic Department’s efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations. Seeks interpretations from the compliance staff before acting when necessary. Reports potential rules violations immediately. Completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner. Monitors all of their areas and/or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to apply for IRC29187 via the Tulane University employment website (https://jobs.tulane.edu/position/IRC29187). The position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Please Note: Depending on your role and the department in which you work, you may be expected to adhere to COVID-19 requirements, such as vaccinations and booster shots.
Tulane University is committed to creating a community and culture that foster a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are intentionally seeking candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow.
Tulane University is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity by phone at 504-865-4748 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 1834, Tulane is one of the most highly regarded and selective independent research universities in the United States. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, we take pride in being a part of this select group of 62 universities with “pre-eminent programs of graduate and professional education and scholarly research.” Our schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine and public health and tropical medicine. With a seventeen-sport program that competes in the American Athletic Conference, Tulane Athletics is on the rise, boasting one of the oldest and most storied athletics programs in the Southeast, and indeed the nation.
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.