Manager, Animal Facility University Comparative Medicine Program
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Type: Full Time
This position is an exempt, salaried position assigned to pay grade 26. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
Internal Number: IRC24266
Manages the daily operations of the animal facility in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures and other regulatory requirements to ensure a quality animal care program in support of the research and animal care and use programs of the Department of Comparative Medicine. Provides training, supervision, and coordination of activities of Animal Care Technicians/Supervisors. Designated as essential personnel during a storm/natural disaster. If required to work during a closure, employee must provide accurate and current contact information and is responsible for communication with DCM and animal care staff. Performs related responsibilities as required. Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against, and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents are required.
• Proven ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to lift items weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Must have basic computer skills.
• Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with faculty, principal investigators, technicians, and animal care staff.
• Must be able to train animal care personnel and supervisors effectively.
• Ability to use critical thinking to solve problems and implement solutions that are consistent with the University’s animal care and use program.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Must have the ability to work with laboratory animal species.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality in all work performed.
• Knowledge of biohazards and related procedures as related to research animals.
SPECIAL REQUIRED ABILITY FOR INCUMBENTS WHO HAVE CONTACT OR EXPOSURE TO ANIMALS OR ANIMAL TISSUES:
Ability to complete and pass successfully the required occupational health screening referenced in the University’s Animal Handler Health Surveillance Program on an annual basis.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND CHECK, PHYSICAL, AND DRUG SCREENING FOR INCUMBENTS WHO HAVE CONTACT OR EXPOSURE TO ANIMALS OR ANIMAL TISSUES:
Selected candidates must complete and pass a background check and an occupational health screening as a condition of employment. For identified jobs, a drug screening will also be required. The background investigation required occupational health screening, and any required drug screening will be conducted after a conditional employment offer has been extended.
Required Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or related field
• Certified/Registered AALAS Laboratory Animal Technologist or obtained within one year of hire.
• 5 years experience in management, animal care, or quality assurance
• Certification as an AALAS Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR)
The Department of Comparative Medicine (DCM) supports the research activities of Tulane University faculty, staff, and students by fostering a comprehensive program of quality animal care.
Our scope of work includes:
Supplying high-quality laboratory animals
Ensuring humane care and use of laboratory animals
Maintaining AAALAC accredited facilities for housing laboratory animals
Providing veterinary care, technical support, and training