Isidore Newman School seeks a talented and dynamic Chinese educator for a part-time role in the 2021-2022 academic year. The successful applicant will possess excellent speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills; demonstrate strong instructional and classroom management skills; be technologically savvy and computer literate; have an abiding interest in helping students to experience academic and social growth; be successful in working with teams; be willing to contribute to school activities outside of the assigned classroom; possess strong understanding of the developmental level of the students they teach; and genuinely love to work with students at the upper school level.
The most important qualifications include:
* A bachelor's degree or higher in Chinese or a closely related field; graduate work in the discipline desired.
* Substantial teaching experience at the upper school level with demonstrated expertise in teaching regular and honors students.
* Values strong relationships with their students while maintaining high expectations in the academic program.
* Cultural competency demonstrating respect for diversity of identities and experiences and an orientation toward equity and inclusion.
* Professional orientation towards collaboration and innovation including strong proficiency with technology appropriate to the History classroom.
* A reflective practitioner, committed to a continuous process of self-improvement and lifelong learning.
* A student-centered educator, skilled in fostering persistent problem solving.
* A positive sense of humor, self-confidence, and effective oral and written communication skills.
* Must meet and maintain any and all federal, state and local requirements to work in an educational childcare setting.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Teaching up to three sections of Chinese, including the possibility of Chinese I, Chinese II, and Advanced Chinese.
* Develop and implement engaging daily lesson plans that align with the department's curriculum and school's pedagogical ethos.
* Foster a growth mindset among all students.
* Provide one-on-one and small group assistance to support student learning.
* Communicate with parents and advisors as needed to support student learning.
* Write clear, detailed report card comments that help parents understand the progress of their child in our curriculum.
* Serve as advisor to a small group of students and/or participate in extracurricular activities.
* Implement classroom and communication practices that foster the growth of ethical behavior, social skills, and excellent work habits.
* Participate as a positive, collaborative and innovative team member who will support the mission and culture of the division and school.
Founded in 1903, Isidore Newman School is a co-educational independent school that serves high-achieving and highly motivated students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, as well as infants through young children in Green Trees, a premier early childhood division of the School. Located in the heart of Uptown New Orleans, blocks away from Tulane and Loyola University, Newman is the only co-educational, non-sectarian, independent day school in the city of New Orleans. Our School enjoys a national reputation for excellence and achievement in academics, athletics and the arts with our students matriculating to the most selective colleges and universities in the country.